Dragonslair Banner

Watercolour - cat silhouette

I sketched out the cat silhouette and then outlined it with masking fluid. I didn't make a particularly thick outline with the masking fluid, just enough to contain the liquid. I also masked out the moon. Then I wet inside the masked outline with water and, using just violet, added in pigment until I had something resembling a cloudy night sky. I carefully added a few stars with a white pen and some acrylic ink. When it was completely dry, I removed the mask.

Watercolour - bird

For this image, I also used masking fluid but only a little bit around the sketched outline of the bird, and then carefully laid down water onto the paper in the middle and used a wet on wet watercolour technique to colour it. The stars were sprinkled on using a toothbrush in acrylic ink, with some starbursts added with a fine brush later.

Watercolour - wolves howling

This was one of my first forays into using masking fluid. I started with 300gsm watercolour paper and sketched out the wolves, moon and hill. I applied the masking fluid with a fountain pen nib, let it dry, and then washed over with various watercolour pigments. When everything had dried I peeled off the masking fluid and this was what was left. I was quite pleased with how it turned out.

Acrylic ink - fish

This image was my second go at using acrylic ink. I did a seahorse first, learned a few things about how the ink moved, and then did this fish. I used a wet on wet technique where I first filled the sections with a layer of water and then dropped the ink in and let it spread.

I used 300gsm watercolour paper so that it wouldn't warp so much. I really liked the way the acrylic ink spread through this piece, though there are some small tide lines where it washed back on itself. Before it completely dried, I added some small dots for texture.